Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Eibotboard alternative ideas

edited June 2013 in General
Hello, I'm curious to see what all is out there in regards to what people are doing with the eiboard.  I've thus far found a few drawbot (robot hangs by two strings or chains and moves on a wall to draw something).  I've also seen one guy putting up something about a laser etcher with an x-y table, but I'm not sure if there were too many details given.

Besides those, I'm a bit at a loss.  I'm maybe going to attempt something different, but my progress would be much faster if I could see a few other alternative examples and "steal" a few good ideas from them.  I'm a bit new at the programming side, so I'll probably try to just keep the inkscape pluggin as my software, but I would certainly be interested to see if anyone else came up with alternatives.

A few more questions:  
does running the board with a higher voltage (12v vs 9v) have any affect on the torque/power of the motors, or is that only adjustable with the pot?
has anyone gotten any 7.5degree steppers to work smoothly?  I haven't had time to mess with it, but my nema17 works way better than the 7.5degree motors I pulled out of some printers. I'd rather not have to buy more, but no big deal.

Thanks.

Comments

• The trouble is that you can use it for *almost anything* that needs two stepper motors, so many of the people using them don't say much about it.  

There are quite a few drawbots, etch-a-sketch machines, and little CNC machines.  We've also seen a coil winding machine, rotary turntable for photography, and a linear-axis (lathe geometry) eggbot (the "mugbot") for drawing on mugs.  And how about an automated labyrinth maze solver?  ( http://buildsmartrobots.ning.com/profiles/blogs/automated-labyrinth-maze )

- Yes, running at higher voltage will provide more current, torque, and power to your motors.
    - In my experience 7.5 degree motors are never all that smooth, but I haven't actually tried one on the EBB.  With 48/steps per revolution native, in principle you can get 768 steps per revolution with the EBB and 16X microstepping.