My son and I are trying to get the EvilMadScientist Peggy board working. It's got an Arduino Mega2560 on it. We programmed it successfully a few months ago, and it's still running the program we put into it (e.g., the chip and the board all function just fine).
Whenever we try to upload a new program (our Peggy program, blink, anything...) we get the message:
avrdude: stk500v2_getsync(): timeout communicating with programmer
This repeats a few times then it times out.
I have a Mac (OSX 10.10.5), my son has a PC with Windows 10. But we've also tried this with a Mac with OSX 10.9.5.
We've also tried to upload a simple blink program to a Sainsmart Mega2560 board. Same problem, same error message every time!
There are lots of solutions out there, including
- Editing boards.txt to change the AVR (some say to change it to -wiring, some say to use -stk500v2).
- Pressing the reset button just before trying to upload the program
- Unplugging the board, then plugging it in right before uploading.
- Using AVR ISP instead of AVRISP MKII
- Searching for and removing triple !!! in the code.
None of those worked for us.
We have the same problem with a Arduino Duemilanova. But we are able to upload programs to an Arduino Nano and Arduino Uno with no problem.
Has anyone solved this?