Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Beginner suggestions.

Hi there, I am looking for some advice on a project I'm working on. I'm very new to the electronics world. I am a musician/mechanic, have respectable soldering skills, and basic understanding of things. The extent of my practice has been limited to cable making, wiring tube amps, and auto LED headlamps/accessories. So I want to say thank you in advance for what may seem to be overly simple questions.

I'm building a Carbon headphone case for a friend, and I would like to jazz it up a bit with a bright colored LED that illuminates when the case is opened, then shuts off when it is closed. I've tried some simple google searching which brought me to phototransistors. This concept would be great, it just seems that everything I've seen is meant to turn the light on in the dark, which I would need the opposite. Also, it would be ideal if the system could run on disk batteries. Having a light controlled switch is almost necessary. The case form doesn't allow for a switch requiring physical contact to be mounted. Any suggestions on where to look, or specific components, would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this!

-Tim