Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Virgina Woolf drawing strategy

TomTom
edited August 2017 in AxiDraw

Hi,

The AxiDraw is a great piece of hardware.

I was looking at Virginia Woolf portrait in the examples ( link ) and I am wondering what is the strategy used here.

I guess that the input image is the portrait done by George Charles Beresford in 1902 ( link ).

I had a look at the SVG file ; it contains ~11 656 lines (11 656 path with a single segment).
I tried StippleGen but it is limited to 10 000 stipples and gets really hard to work with that many points.

Was it generated with StippleGen ?
(I thought that the portrait may have been generated from a TSP stopped very quick [ie. when not optimal but visually appealing]).

Would you have some pointers to replicate what has been done for Virginia Woolf ?

Great thanks !
Tom

Note : I received (in France) my AxiDraw V3 in 5 days ! Props for that too !

Edit: Stipples were double counted.

Comments

• Yes, that is the correct source image.

This was not made by StippleGen, but with a similar program that we have written in Processing, which creates "string art" style drawings like that. We have not yet released the software -- we are still tweaking it and it's pretty rough around the edges -- but if you (or any other AxiDraw owner) would like to give it a try at this early stage, we would be happy to put together a beta version that you can try out. Please use our contact form to make the request.

Also, secret StippleGen feature: press the 'x' key to increase the allowable stipple count. Just beware that things are slower (and less stable) with higher stipple count.