Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Question about programming Octolively

I was wondering if it were possible to program for individual LEDs on the Octolively.  For example, can I make it so that the 2nd, 5th, and 8th LEDs are inverted from the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th.  All while still performing a fade/ripple.  I just think it'd be cool to have a mode where I spell out something but still have motion sensing.  Also, can I do this when attached to different modules? Thanks!

Comments

• Yes, quite possible-- and actually quite a clever idea --but you'll need to program each board individually.  This can be done while they are connected together in the matrix.
  • Now I assume if I just make it the same state on each board, I wouldn't have to press the button on each individual board, correct?
  • I'm not sure that I entirely understand the question.  To put each board in the same "program" it is usually necessary to press the button on each board, to get it into that program. As part of programming, you could disable the ability to get into those other states, of course.
  • Ah ok, I think I just miss understood the videos.  I haven't bought my Octolivelys yet, I just wanted to make sure it could do what I wanted it to do!

I guess another question would be if I could create a "universal" button?  By simply wiring one button to all of the different boards.  Or would that create some sort of crazy voltage drop?  I assume it's just a normally open button, so the micro-controller simply looks for a 1 as opposed to a 0, meaning it wouldn't matter if it were receiving power from a different board.
  • It is theoretically possible; there have been other discussions here about it.  However, it may not be 100% reliable.  If a button press accidentally misses or registers twice on an individual board, it's usually no big deal-- you press the button again.  But if it's one board in the middle of a grid, that's a bit different, so I wouldn't guarantee that the full grid will always stay in sync.  However, it also might be fun to try....
  • Thank you, you have been very helpful!