Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Fake Flame using FLickery flame kit

edited April 2016 in General
For a class I am teaching I already have the students making flickery Flame kits fro a lantern prop. But I was thinking with the addition of a small computer fan and silk I could have them make a fake flame torch prop. Any advice on where to start with this? I am thinking batteries to power the fan and I would need something to regulate the power going to the fan. 

Is this not as simple as I think is? Any advice is very much appreciated.

Comments

• Yes, that should work well.  You might consider also looking at our clear-lens yellow flickering LEDs, which are particularly good for this purpose, since they project more of a beam than the diffused LEDs in the flickery flame kits.

Computer fans are not particularly tolerant of unexpected voltage inputs-- a 5 V DC computer fan wants steady 5 V DC. Using a regulator is an OK idea, but it might be better to give it 6 V DC (4 C or D cells), with a load resistor and/or diode to drop the voltage down to 5.