Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Anyone have luck plotting SVGs?

edited October 2016 in AxiDraw
Trying to plot an SVG I've generated; it displays fine in Inkscape. I have to set the document size to US Letter and re-scale the lines, but when I try to plot it the pen always just goes to one corner and moves up and down repeatedly until I plug it.

I can plot text that's been converted to paths just fine, however.

Comments

• Hi Beau,
    Lots of people have had luck plotting SVGs-- however yours seems to be a special case. I am looking into it, and also following up with the e-mail that you sent to us separately. I will answer you in both places.
  • edited October 2016
    I'm not sure exactly what is wrong with the file (or perhaps with Inkscape, or perhaps with our software and how we handle documents that have had a unit transformation), but here is how to fix it: Start with the Inkscape template for letter size (File > Templates > Letter) and then import your SVG into that file, using File > Import.

For the future, I would recommend that you update your SVG generating script to use that template (or even your new SVG created by the method above), and fill in the center part with the actual data that you want to use.

Also, the behavior that you are seeing is essentially what one might expect from a large scaling error-- it's trying to travel far outside the mechanical limits of the machine, and the "software limit switches" are limiting its range of movement, and hence leaving it in a corner. With your permission, I'll keep your file around as a test case, and hopefully we can handle scaling errors more gracefully in the future.