Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Multicolor SMDs

Total novice working with electronics. Purchased some Chanzon 5050 single color smds to use in greeting cards. Have had success hooking up to copper tape. I threw caution to the wind and also purchased some multicolor smds. The little flat ones with the connectors on the the sides. Have searched and searched for tutorials or instructions on how to get them to change color with my project.
If someone could just point me in the right direction, I would appreciate the help.

Comments

• If these are traditional RGB 5050 LEDs -- with two pins for each LED element and no built-in controller chip -- then there isn't any one particular quick and easy way to do it. Rather, you're now in the territory of microcontrollers, and individually controlling multiple LEDs. You might consider starting with a Lilypad board or an Adafruit Trinket, and look at the various tutorials for programming those boards.