Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Micro pens

edited December 2014 in General
Hi, I tried using Micron Pigma pens, and Prismacolor, and neither seem to fully dry In even a half hour. Can these pens be used?

Comments

• They can be used, but one thing that we *really* love about the Sharpies is how fast the ink dries. With some pens, you may need to leave the objects to dry for days.  Obviously it depends on the print media (eggs? ornaments?), heat, and so forth.
  • Ok thanks. Does Sharpie make a pen with a finer tip than the Ultra fine that dry's fast?
  • Not that I'm aware of, at least in the wide range of colors. There is such a thing as a "Sharpie Pen" that is a little bit finer, IIRC.
  • edited December 2014
    So what do you consider to be the best 005, or 01 to use with an EggBot Pro? I'm a bit of a perfectionist. Use to do CNC programming for WDW, and now do Computer 3D modeling, and rendering, ( I have attached a sample of my work ). I must say this EggBot Pro is beautifully thought out, and built. Cosmetically it looks great, and has a very solid build. Almost resembles a miniature CNC lathe. Are there any ball point type pens that work well?
  • Thank you for the kind words. ;)  

And, nice modeling!

When it really counts, we use the Copic Multiliner SP pens, which go down to an absurdly small ".03 mm" size. The numbers are not really comparable between different manufacturers. The black Copic Multiliner SP pens in the different widths are excellent (*except* for drying time), but the colored versions are not as vivid as Sharpies nor much thinner. You can get replacement nibs for (in all the different widths) for this series, so there's some hope of switching in thinner nibs on the color pens, or switching in faster-drying ink. 

A roller-ball pen can also potentially work. Some people have had good luck with a regular ball point, but that requires extra downwards pressure, which can shorten the life of the pen-lift motor. A fountain pen might also work well.

And, not what you were asking for, but the finest of our kistka tips is *really* fine as well, and can make some pretty spectacularly thin lines.  We've been meaning to test these with just fountain pen ink, rather than the usual hot wax.
  • That interesting. Can you send my a link?
  • Link to which?
  • Nice. I bought my wife a set of 72 Coptic sketch markers. They blend beautifully. I just tried a stipple of Grace Kelly with a Prismacolor pen, and the resolution looks great compared to the Sharpie Ultra Fine. To bad they take forever to dry. Are these other pens perminant?
  • You'll have to check for permanence on a per-pen basis. One thing that can be done (for some pen types) is to spray a clear protective coat over the ink, once it does finally dry.

We have some other notes up on the wiki: http://wiki.evilmadscientist.com/Pen_choices