Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Cannot get RoboPaint-Mac10.6-v0.7.5 To start

edited December 2015 in WaterColorBot
My system:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
  Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,3
  Processor Name: Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
  Number of Processors: 1
  Total Number of Cores: 4

System Version: OS X 10.11.2 (15C50)
  Kernel Version: Darwin 15.2.0
  Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

When I double click 
RoboPaint.app I get the attached screen “Starting up…”  but RoboPaint never starts!!!!  Please advise.

Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 9.56.26 AM.pdf

The system just sits there and never opens.

Comments

• Could NOT! even get the LINK to work!!  This is what I get when I go to the Link:image
  • Sorry; I thought you would have access.  I'll upload it to another host and post a temporary link.
  • Well at least I got it downloaded but the application will not load.  
  • Well, Darn. That's the first report that we've had of it *not* working. Can you please say at which stage it gets stuck?
  • edited December 2015
    One possibility: Your gatekeeper is preventing it from opening.  In the Finder on the Mac, select the RoboPaint icon. Right click (or control-click) the icon to get the contextual menu, and select "open" from that menu. 

(If this is the issue, you will only need to open it like this the very first time.)
  • I have my security set From Anywhere. The ICON "Install RoboPaint" does nothing when right clicked.
  • Oh -- not a launch problem -- you haven't been able to install it yet. Got it.

The file RoboPaintMac_v2.0.0-Beta.1.dmg is a disk image (not an application) that should open up when you double click it. 

After double clicking on that icon, if you can't see anything, try selecting from the menu Go > Computer 
    The virtual disk ("Install RoboPaint") should show up there. 

Inside that folder is the RoboPaint App, which you can drag to your Applications folder.
  • Here is what I get now: 
    EiBotBoard not found.
    What do you want to do?
    Continue in Simulation mode
    Try to Reconnect
    When I select the Try to Reconnect age the same EiBotBoard not found.  I have reconnected the USB to Board still nothing

I have the bot connected to my Macbook Pro, power connected to board,  one green light on right side of board is on, one green light on front edge of board flashing. 

• If you had not restarted your computer since trying the previous version of RoboPaint, I would suggest trying that. 

I will follow up here and see if there is anything else that I might suggest.

Has your WaterColorBot worked with previous versions of RoboPaint, or are you just getting started? 
  • It is brand new personally bought Christmas gift.  I have never used one before.  I did reboot no improvement.  The Simulation mode seems to work just fine.
  • One thing that you might try -- a long shot -- is a different USB cable. (The WaterColorBot is extensively tested before shipping, but comes with a new USB cable.)

I am following up on the software side, to see what else we might be able to try from a diagnostic standpoint. 

In the mean time, you might consider giving the WaterColorBot's Inkscape driver a try-- it should get you up and running to at least try out the machine.
  • Tried new usb cable no change. Downloaded Inkscape created dwg tried to print but did not show WaterColorBot as a printer.
  • The WaterColorBot is controlled through an Inkscape extension, not through the "print" dialog. You'll need to install the WaterColorBot software, and I'd recommend trying to paint some of our examples before creating your own.

The documentation is here: http://wiki.evilmadscientist.com/Inkscape_and_WaterColorBot
  • We have uploaded a new version of RoboPaint, which fixes some communication issues that we were able to identify. Please give this a try: