Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Help with New AxiDraw

I'm having some trouble getting my new AxiDraw started. It is plugged into USB and power, but I get no lights or any apparent activity from the EBB and when I try to move the pen from Inkscape I get: Failed to connect to AxiDraw. :(

I checked the output of the power supply with a multitester and get a steady 9.2v. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Kris

Comments

• Things to check:
    * Do any EBB lights come on with just USB connected (not power)?
    * Do any EBB lights come on with just power plugged in (not USB)?
    * Are you using a USB hub or extension cord?
    * Do you have another USB cable you can test?
    * Is there any visible damage to the EBB?

• Lenore,

Thanks for getting back to me -
    No lights with just power, just USB, or both.
    No USB Hub - directly connected. I've tried 2 cables along with the included one.
    I took the sheld with the EBB attached off, and there is no visible damage but I think something is wrong with the board because when I plug it in and test the 3v and 5v pins I'm getting fluctuating readings all under 1v.

Kris

• I see you've emailed us as well -- I'll follow up there.

• Hello!!! There is here what kind of problem. Acquired XY plotter (Axi Draw v2) in order to write them a lot of synopses. But faced with this. When we open a pdf file with a summary in Inskape, when we print it, AxiDraw requires that we finish the object (this is in the "Outline" tab), but when we do this,
    then Inskape encircles each letter so that at least two circuits are obtained. For example, the letter "O" has both an outer contour and an inner contour. And the plotter draws the pen not with the letter "O", but with two contours! As we know, people do not write like that. A man is enough for one line! QUESTION!!! How to make Inscape do a contour not on both sides of a letter,
    but by letter, i.e. The contour should go as it were "inside" the letter and it should be one! It's like a pen written. Inskape has "Hershey Text" (the EXPANSION tab and then the DRAWING), which contains a path that follows the letter. And this circuit is one. But in "Text Hershey" there is no possibility of choosing the font that I need. YOU ARE WELCOME,
    Help!!! How to draw a contour "on the letter", so that the XY pen of the plotter would write like a person, and not draw out the outlines of the letters. Or can it be possible to print directly and MSWord? And can it be possible through other programs to realize our intention to write abstracts? Thank you

• edited April 2018

The fonts that you are using are made of outlines; there is no center line within them. This is normal and expected behavior.

Hershey Text does not use regular outline fonts, but does have a very limited set of available styles and characters.

(This is not related to the original topic of this post, so I am closing the topic.)

This discussion has been closed.