Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

ATtinyx313 dev kit

I just ordered a few of these, getting things ready.  Is the capacitor in the kit required?  If it is, where does it go?

ATtiny2313/4313 Mini Dev Kits

Comments

• The cap is not required; some people like to put them across the power supply, in location C4.
  • Sweet.  I'm a software guy by nature, just getting into hardware.  I know that when someone sells me stuff they usually don't throw in extras, figured I'd check.  Thanks.
  • Been a few weeks, just about ready to switch my plans for the kits from functional to something more artistic...melting all the parts together would make a nice hat pin or something.  What should be relatively simple is proving to be more frustrating than I had planned.

Let's say that someone bought a ATtinyx313 dev kit with the 4313, and the 16mhz crystal/caps from y'all. What fuse settings would you recommend to use the UART at 9600?

<details>
    I'm working on a relay control board for my car.  Pre-OBD, most advanced piece of electronics on this thing is a voltage stabilizer for the temp gauge.  I built the relay board, programmed a Netduino, made a program for my Android tablet and phone that interfaces with the Netduino via Bluetooth, can start and stop the engine, reads all of sending unit values, nice little display. All that was left was some way to control everything without the Android device. I pick up some 4x4 matrix keypads, but those require 8 pins, and my Netduino only has 3 left.  So, I figure I'd use a 4313 to whip up something that would read the keypad and send key presses through UART to the Netduino. 

Using the USBTiny programmer, the Atmel Sudio 6 IDE and AVRDude, I've been trying for the past two weeks to just send something through the 4313's UART to a Sparkfun 4 digit 7-segment LED.  The LED works fine from Netduino or Arduino at 9600 8N1, but all I get is garbage coming from the 4313.  I do have the 16mhz crystal and caps from y'all (on the XTL/C1/C2 pads), tried all kinds of fuse settings, built all of the dev boards I got from here, etc, etc, ad nauseum, but still haven't been able to get the UART to send the right characters. 
    </details>

• Hi Mike, 
    You might start with our "basics" article on serial communication with AVR microcontrollers: 

Use the avr fuse calculator to pick appropriate fuse values.  Test the actual clock speed, if you have a chance, by counting down the clock to give you a 1 Hz blink on an LED, and make sure that it's what it's supposed to be.
  • Oh good golly, that's exactly what I spent the past few weeks looking for.  Maybe I'll just limit my searches to evilmadscientist.com.  I'll have to find some way to leave work early to try this out.  Thanks.