Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Bulbdial Kit: Every 5th and 6th LED doesn't light up

edited August 2012 in Clock Kits
I recently started my electronics adventure and the Bulbdial was one of the first things I wanted to try. I successfully soldered and tested the first layer of LED's (blue on the RGB kit) and then soldered and attached the second layer (green) with the zerohm connectors. Upon testing it 10 LED's won't light up. They are evenly spaced out which makes me think it's a very specific problem one of you more experience folks could diagnose by reading the schematics!

In the included picture I've circled the LEDs which don't light up. I've already resoldered all their connections along with all of the zerohm connectors' connections.

Comments

• It looks like you may be missing one or two of the resistors LEDx, below and to the right of the microcontroller. Would you please check those?
  • That was it! Thank you so much! I completely missed that spot thinking it was for the monochrome version only. Reading comprehension helps.
  • I am having a similar problem (every 5th and 6th bulb on green ring wont light) except the bulbs that don't light on ours are a little different.  On the end of each row of 6 bulbs is a little tee pee / pyramid shape.  Those 2 bulbs on eith side of this shape all the way around are the ones that wont light...ideas?  thanks for help me and my boys were doing so well up to this point.  We are frustrated!
  • I *think* that you are referring to the LEDs located above 
    D21, D31, 
    D32, D42, 
    D43, D53, 
    D54, D64, 
    D65, and D16.

These LEDs are all connected to signal line LED7.  Check that resistor R7 is installed and is soldered correctly. Check that vertical jumper LED7 is soldered correctly.

If things are still not working, carefully check the pins of the microcontroller, and make sure that each pin is soldered neatly and that there are no excessively "blobby" connections there.
  • It was a microcontroller connection.  Thank you so much!  We are back on track and very happy!