Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Stippling on the WaterColorBot

edited December 2013 in WaterColorBot
I just got my WaterColorBot and put it together with my 9 week old son on my lap and my 5 year old daughter holding parts steady for me.  We love it and we are having a great time.  Thanks for the great project.  I noticed on the Kickstarter you showed some images that had been stippled.  I followed the instructions for making a stippled image on the eggbot page but I don't know how to now print them on the WCB.  What would you suggest?

Comments

• The SVG images that StippleGen saves are pre-formatted to be used with the Eggbot, but it's straightforward to use them with the WaterColorBot instead.  Note, however, that stipple drawings look great when drawn with a pen, and not very good when drawn with a (presumably much broader) paintbrush.

We would *recommend* printing this kind of picture from within Inkscape, rather than RoboPaint, as it is better at handling complex SVG data of the sort that StippleGen produces.

If you're going to be printing from within Inkscape, open the WaterColorBot template, and then use the File>Import option to open up the SVG file.  Select the object that was imported, and move it (drag it) onto the center of the page. If the drawing fits onto the page, it is ready to print.  If not, you may need to resize it a bit. 

And, to draw with a pen, select Pen/Pencil mode from the Mode tab of the Control WaterColorBot extension.

We have not actually tested printing StippleGen output in RoboPaint, but it should be possible (in principle at least).  Go to the Create mode, and select File> Open SVG, and select your SVG file. Click the "Fit Content" button to move your drawing to the center of the drawing area, and it should be visible.  

To draw with a pen, go to the Settings> Painting Setup tab  and select Painting/Drawing mode "No water or paint."