I am building my second bulbdial kit, SKU 950. The first one I build went off without a hitch. The second one, being built with my daughter, not so much. We're currently stuck at step 25 / step 26 - we are having issues getting the blue LEDs to test.
Individually testing each LED, we have the following results:
- Testing D25: D25 does not light, however D24, D15, D45, D65, D26, and D21 all light instead (albeit, dimly)
- Testing D16: D16 does not light, however D14, D15, D26, D46, D56, and D12 all light instead
- Testing D61: D61 does not light, however it occasionally flickers, when off, D62, D63, D64, D65, D21, D31, D41, and D51 light in it's place
- Testing D13: D13 does not light, however D43, D53, D14, and D15 light instead
- Testing D23: D23 does not light, however D26, D24, D63, and D43 light instead
D36 was removed due to a previous issue and replaced with an extra. That one is working fine now. I would put more spares in but there is an awful lot of these dead.
I am using a 30W soldering iron from Radio Shack. I'm having a tough time believing I've cooked so many LEDs putting this together. I am also having a tough time believing that the manufacturing failure rate of these LEDs is 16%.
I have been over the kit about a dozen times heating and reheating each and every last solder joint. The board is free of debris; there are no visible shorts or issues any where. I have removed the individual LEDs that have given an issue and resoldered them, sometimes they flicker a little, other times, nothing. I had absolutely zero issues with the first kit I put together and I never had any of those LEDs die. Both kits assembled using the same tools, same soldering iron with the same wattage.
I'm pretty frustrated. Any help I could get would be greatly appreciated.