Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Not communicating properly

edited March 2014 in Egg-Bot
Managed to get the Inkscape extensions installed also the device driver (Win7).  However, the device does not connect every time and if I move the device or touch the cable the connection drops.  Seems to be at the EBB board not the computer, if I wiggle (scientific term) the cable ever so slightly at the EBB the connection may or may not connect/drop.  If the device shows in the device table and I go to the extensions in Inkscape to talk to the device in Manual mode I get the message
 "Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "eggbot.py", line 30, in <module>
    import serial
ImportError: No module named serial"

any feedback as to what is happening.  Thanks Ray

Comments

• Hi Ray,
    Is it the case that (A) you sometimes get a good connection, but lose it when the cable is wiggled, or (B) you never get a good connection, but always get the "no module named serial" error?

If (A), you might consider trying a different USB cable if you have one handy, and please contact our store directly about getting a replacement cable or EBB if necessary.  If (B), please say so. :)
  • I always get the error regardless of connection status.
  • It sounds like (for whatever reason) the extensions are actually not installed correctly. I do not recall hearing of this problem occurring on Windows before. I'd suggest unplugging the Eggbot from your computer until the computer (on its own) is responding correctly.   

The error message that you should get when you try to talk to the Eggbot is "Unable to find an Eggbot..."  However,it's not getting far enough to look for it. Please try re-installing the Eggbot software, using the installer: https://code.google.com/p/eggbotcode/downloads/detail?name=EB_Ext_2_2_2_r3.exe ;

• Got it, wrong version of Inkscape. Reloaded and works, still have flaky connection but I can deal with that. Will get another cable tomorrow and test that. Thanks for the help.

• OK--- great-- progress!  Please let me know what you find with the cable, and we'll get you taken care of. :)