Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Sizing Problem

edited April 2015 in Egg-Bot
I have quite a few nice SVG's but when I try to use one with the Egg bot it won't print. I get the error message saying it needs to be 3400 X 800 pixels.
If I increase the image to those dimensions I end up with a 40+ inch graphic.

any and all help appreciated

Folk Hero

Comments

• First off, your page size should be 3200 x 800 pixels, not 3400 x 800. You may want to start with the EggBot template as an example.

Can you please say what the issue is with changing the dimensions? At the "standard" 90 pixels per inch, that template works out to ~35.5" wide-- it should not get to 40+ inches. 
  • Hi
    Even at 35.5" that's still a lot more than will fit on an egg?

thanks
    Folk Hero

• There is not a fixed relationship between the template and the number of inches that artwork will take up. That relationship depends both on the size and shape of the object that you are drawing upon.

The units on the template -- pixels, not inches -- relate to the motion of the motors.  A full revolution of one of the motors is 3200 steps, shown on the screen as 3200 pixels, which gives 360 degrees of motion. You can think of this like latitude and longitude on a globe. 360 degrees around the equator is still one full revolution. However, the amount of distance along the equator is different on globes of different size. Similarly, lines of constant latitude are different lengths, depending on the latitude.

• Ok
    When I enlarge the graphic to a width of 3200 and keep the perspective ratio it comes to 3200 X 1044. Will this work or do I need to change something.
    P.S I'm using ping pong balls.

thanks
    Folk Hero
  • That will *probably* not work. The larger vertical range (1044 vs 800) means that you'll be asking the pen to go further "north" and "south" (using a globe model), and it will likely bump into one or both of the egg couplers.
  • Ok if I reduce the 1044 to 800 that brings it 2492 X 800. Will that work?

thanks
    Folk Hero

• It will fit, but it will not wrap around seamlessly.  Depending on what you are drawing, this may be optimal or suboptimal.
  • Hi
    After trying several different things I have come to the the conclusion I may be no smarter than a box of rocks.
    If you can tell how to (step by step please) print this on a ping pong ball for my wife not only will I be eternally grateful but this will get her off my case for spending $200.

thanks
    Folk Hero
  • First, I'll need to know what step to start with. So, first question: have you successfully printed the "Hello World" file on something using the EggBot?
  • Also, the file will work fine. I'll follow up with steps on how to use it once I know about where you're at.
  • Hi
    I didn't do the "hello world" file instead I did the "smiley face" one with no problem.

thanks
    Folk Hero

• Great! First step: open up the EggBot template. Select the logo from your file, copy it, and paste it into the template. 
  • If you want, you can scale it up to fill the vertical height of the template. Go to Object --> Fill and Stroke and set the fill to none and the stroke to black. If you plot at this point, it should show the outlines of the logo.
  • There are several methods of filling it in which are described here:
    http://wiki.evilmadscientist.com/Creating_filled_regions

The hatch fill extension is the easiest way, and you can find the details here:
  • Hi
    Thank you so much. That was the answer I was looking for.

Folk Hero