Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Mac OSX 10.11.1 eggbot extension 2.6.3 problems with Inkscape 0.91

edited December 2015 in Egg-Bot
I had the problem where I had to disconnect the usb cable between each plot. I'm using Inkscape 0.91. I saw that upgrading the extension to version 2.6.3 was reported to fix the issue. what it did for me was make it worse, I cannot do anything with the egg-bot now. Whenever I try to issue a command, i get the following:

Traceback (most recent call last)
  File "eggbot.py", line 1373, in <module>
    e.affect()
  File "/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py", line 268, in affect
    self.effect()
  File "eggbot.py", line 271, in effect
    self.EggbotOpenSerial()
  File "eggbot.py", line 1280, in EggbotOpenSerial
    self.serialPort = self.getSerialPort()
  File "eggbot.py", line 1327, in getSerialPort
    serialPort = self.testSerialPort( strComPort )
  File "eggbot.py", line 1307, in testSerialPort
    serialPort = serial.Serial( strComPort, timeout=1.0 ) # 1 second timeout!
  File "/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/serial/serialutil.py", line 282, in __init__
    self.open()
  File "/Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/serial/serialposix.py", line 289, in open
    self.fd = os.open(self.portstr, os.O_RDWR|os.O_NOCTTY|os.O_NONBLOCK)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/cu.usbmodemfa14'

I've had my egg-bot for quite a while, has the red EiBot board from i think SparkFun. looking at the system Information, the EiBot reports:

EiBotBoard:

Product ID: 0xfd92

Vendor ID: 0x04d8  (Microchip Technology Inc.)

Version: 1.82

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: SchmalzHaus

Location ID: 0xfa130000 / 4

Current Available (mA): 1000

Current Required (mA): 100

Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

I've tried uninstalling Inkscape and reinstalling with no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• That's the first report that we've had of 2.6.3 _not_ working. 

I do have one thing that you can try, which is rolling back to the earlier version of pyserial:

Download the older (2.5.0) version of the EggBot extensions, from here: 

Unzip that archive, and inside it, locate the "Serial" folder inside the Extensions folder. Then, copy over ONLY that serial folder to your current Inkscape extensions directory, replacing the entire folder. You should be able to test it immediately; you should not even need to restart Inkscape if you're just replacing the serial folder.

Your Inkscape extensions directory is located at: /Applications/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/ 

You can get there by selecting from the menu bar in the finder: Go > Go to Folder... , and pasting that directory name there.
  • Works like a champ with the serial folder replaced by the 2.5.0 version
    Thanks so much
  • Well... Awesome... and baffling? 

I'll dig in a bit, and see if I can figure out what the issue is. I may follow up later in this thread with a new version for you to try.  It's awfully difficult to debug issues that we can't reproduce locally. :)