Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Help Setting up an older Egg-bot basic

edited December 2015 in Egg-Bot
I say older egg-bot as I bought this one way back when they first came out and I don't know what version it is with regard to that.

Here's my current problem.

I installed Inkscape, put th extensions in the resources folder and hooked up the egg-bot (green light on the egg-bot bunks twice and then stops and repeats after a couple seconds, looks like dot-dash in morse code as the second blink is longer).

When in inkscape I try manual control to do anything and get the following script error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "eggbot.py", line 1373, in <module>
    e.affect()
  File "/Applications/Inkscape Folder/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/inkex.py", line 268, in affect
    self.effect()
  File "eggbot.py", line 308, in effect
    self.EggbotOpenSerial()
  File "eggbot.py", line 1280, in EggbotOpenSerial
    self.serialPort = self.getSerialPort()
  File "eggbot.py", line 1327, in getSerialPort
    serialPort = self.testSerialPort( strComPort )
  File "eggbot.py", line 1307, in testSerialPort
    serialPort = serial.Serial( strComPort, timeout=1.0 ) # 1 second timeout!
  File "/Applications/Inkscape Folder/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/serial/serialutil.py", line 282, in __init__
    self.open()
  File "/Applications/Inkscape Folder/Inkscape.app/Contents/Resources/share/inkscape/extensions/serial/serialposix.py", line 289, in open
    self.fd = os.open(self.portstr, os.O_RDWR|os.O_NOCTTY|os.O_NONBLOCK)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/dev/cu.usbmodemfd14'

and nothing happens with the egg-bot 

I'm working on:
Mac - OS 10.8.5
Inkscape 2.6.3

If anyone has seen anything like this or has a path to trouble shoot this I'd love to hear from you, thanks.

Comments

• If you have an EggBot with the white (not clear) chassis, then your model should have the same capabilities as the current basic model-- no worries there. 

The current version of Inkscape is 0.91-- I think that you've identified the EggBot software version. 

To address your issue: I would recommend trying the older version, EggBot software version 2.5.0, available on our GitHub releases page: https://github.com/evil-mad/EggBot/releases

If you are using an older version of Inkscape (such as 0.48.5), you will need to instead use EggBot 2.4.0.
  • Thank you for your help, I've had a bit of a change in environment since I last posted so here's where I am currently.

I updated the OS on the Mac to Yosemite - was that ever a process as my machine experienced some of the update problems. Anyway, after the update I reinstalled inkscape (yes .91, sorry about that) and the eggbot extensions (current). And then received the same errors, sigh.

Just now I installed the EggBot software version 2.5.0 and that has changed the problem. When in inkscape if I manually move a motor or the pen it works... once. The second time I try and do anything I get the message "Unable to find an Eggbot on any serial port. :(" If I then unplug the UBS and plug it back in the bot will work, again once then error message.

I have tested the EggBot with another laptop and it works fine (other than squishing everything on one axis, which I'm sure is some setting I need to calibrate but I haven't gotten that far. So it looks like my issue lies with the USB posts on my current laptop. Should you have any other ideas please let me know and thank you for your help!
  • That changes things; please try the latest version, 2.6.4, available here: https://github.com/evil-mad/EggBot/releases

Also, would you please so kind as to post the exact MacOS version number that you are running? (I am running 10.11.1, for example.)
  • Okay, I reinstalled the latest EggBot control and here's what I show for versions:

OSx 10.11.2
    XQuartz 2.7.8 (xorg-server 1.16.4)
    Inkscape .91
    Eggbot 2.6.3

The control now no longer works at all, just the long error message.
  • Ah, yes-- that's El Capitan, not Yosemite.

Please install EggBot 2.6.4 and try again.
  • Whoops, I installed the wrong version of eggbot control. I just installed 2.6.4 and IT WORKS!

Now to work on why the EggBot seems to be compressing the width by half, odd.

Thank you for your help.
  • If this is on an egg-shaped object, you may be running into map projection: http://wiki.evilmadscientist.com/Eggbot_Quality_Troubleshooting#Map_Projection
  • It is an egg, thanks for the link. So far if I set the scale for width to 200%. A little experimenting and I should be good. Thanks again for your help!