Maintenance notice: These forum archives are read-only, and will be removed shortly. Please visit our forums at their new location, https://www.evilmadscientist.com/forums/.

Drawing Diagonally when using CNCServer

edited February 2017 in AxiDraw
When using Inkscape, the AxiDraw functions correctly. However, when we submit requests using the API, the bot draws on a 45-degree angle in a very small rectangle. I was wondering where in the settings should we should change to recalibrate the relative xy.

Comments

• It sounds like you haven't yet set the botType variable, and it probably is in WaterColorBot mode. Use "axidraw" mode instead.
  • edited February 2017
    I have changed the variable to axidraw, but it is still drawing on a diagonal. Also, when I go to localhost:4242, it still displaying the WatercolorBot set-up.
  • The example app at localhost:4242 is a WaterColorBot control example; it is not an API.

You can check whether the API is in AxiDraw mode by browsing to: http://localhost:4242/v1/settings/global .

If it is still in WaterColorBot mode (and the fact that it is drawing diagonally suggests that it is), then you still need to set the bot type variable via the API. 

If you happen to be using the copy of cncserver embedded in RoboPaint, then you also have the option to go to Settings > Advanced and change the bot type there. (You will need to restart RoboPaint after restarting it.)
  • I am using Postman to get and put the "botType," but even though I changed the botType to axidraw, it is still drawing on a diagonal. Is there anything else we need to change it to AxiDraw mode?

I am also looking at the RoboPaint GUI. It appears that there are only two modes: WaterColorbot and Eggbot.

• Perhaps you have an old version of RoboPaint/cncserver?
  • I'm having this issue using RoboPaint. Using 0.9.5 I can easily send svgs to print but they print at 45 degrees and there's no botType option.

Using the newer v2 betas the option is available but I can't get any of the options to work, just spins the white dots.

What is the version where the axidraw option was included so I can try going back to that one?
  • AxiDraw is only an option for newer beta versions of RoboPaint; we are expecting a new beta release (after a long delay) towards the end of this month.

It sounds like you're not having the same issue with RoboPaint-- the issue that you're having is that some modes (?) aren't working for you? (It must be working somewhat, if you can get to the settings and see that there's an AxiDraw option.) We are currently using RoboPaint 2.0.0 beta 3, and we would very strongly _not_ recommend using an older version of RoboPaint with it-- Not only does it print at the wrong angle, but it doesn't know how big the machine is, and can run into the walls, which can cause gradual physical damage to the machine.